Debris patch on the road to disaster!

Todays ride was on my normal training loop where I traveled 10.7 miles at an average speed of 12.5 Mph and a max speed of 26.5 Mph. Todays elevation gain was 333' and I burnt 449 calories. My average heart rate was 142 Bpm and a Max heart rate of 169 Bpm. The ride lasted 48 minutes in very humid and cloudy weather.

As most of us know there is a debris patch formed at corners where cars and trucks deposit anything and everything when turning. Usually it consists of gravel, sand and numerous other things. Today I was traveling at around 13 Mph and was preparing to make a right turn from the shoulder. As I came near the corner I was then able to see a landscapers truck parked off the corner, which would force me into a wider turn. This wider path brought me into the center of the debris patch, and that is where my problem began. I was leaning into thee turn when all of a sudden the rear wheel spun out in the direction of the turn. Before I knew it or could react I was facing the wrong direction. I didn't turn over or get hurt in any way other than my ego. Another lesson learned. Could have been a disaster, but it turned out OK this time. Well to sum it up I would say "Be careful even when you think you know the roads, as danger is always present".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beautiful day for a ride