Tempting the Gods & ride report

Yesterday I decided I would go out and ride even knowing that my last tube was mounted on my severely damaged Primo Comet Kevlar tire. The inside had edges of the Kevlar pushing through the inside carcass. I started out by saying to myself "I won't go far, I will stay near home". Well after riding a few miles and the Adrenalin was pumping, I thought I saw a recumbent rider I knew far ahead of me. I started pushing to catch up, and as I came to the top of the next hill I saw him turn off onto the bike path. I said "I can catch up and we could shoot the breeze for a while". Well that didn't work out as he turned off on to one of the most heavily traveled roads in the area. And it was loaded with trucks and cars so it was hard to catch up. After a few minutes I realized I was a long way from home and I had this bad tire, so I started back. When I reached home I saw that I had not only went out with a real bad tire, I hadn't put my flag on the trike. I wondered why the trucks were riding so close, now I know why, "they couldn't see me". Well I ordered a new tire (Primo Comet Kevlar) and will stay near home until it arrives. I won't tempt the Gods, at least until the next time.

After my lunch today I started out on my ride and was feeling a little down as my back was truly hurting. I rode 13.41 miles and burnt 633 calories. My average speed was 11.29 mph and my top speed was 23.0 mph. The weather was nice with a temperature of 69 degrees with the wind out of the East at 11 mph.

Today was the first time I got cramps at the end of my ride, boy is it painful. I realized that I didn't hydrate during the ride like I normally do. I drink Fruit 2/0 which is a hydration drink containing electrolytes. I won't do that again! I could barely get off the trike.

I went to Halters Cycle to pick up a spare tube so as I am not riding around without tire protection. I also tried on some new shoes and think I will pick them up tomorrow. I looked at another bike shop and the same shoes were more money. The price doesn't matter as I like dealing with the guys at Halters Cycle in South Brunswick. Also Halters usually meets prices.

Comments

Anonymous said…
hi, congratulations for you blog, i am fred, from France, and new in the recumbent world... expecting my Nazca "gaucho" soon... i ve just created my blog, similar to yours, i am willing to introduce the people to this activity and try to promote it... by the way my blog is in french ;-) bye
Joel said…
Congratulations on the new ride I am sure you will love it as much as just riding.

Popular posts from this blog

Beautiful day for a ride