Shimano Sandals and Frog Cleats



Today I tried my Shimano Sandals and the new Frog G3 cleats. The cleats were easy to install on the new sandals, but the trouble soon began. After I left the driveway my right foot slipped out of the cleats and my calf hit the chain leaving a small scrape. I locked my foot in and started to ride again and it seemed all right for a while. When I reached the bike path which was 2.5 miles from my home my foot slipped out of the cleat again. I stopped at a park bench took off the sandals and tried to adjust the screws. Still kept slipping out, I don't have this problem with my regular bike shoes and the old type cleat. I completed my ride doing 12 miles and then went home to call SpeedPlay for technical support. I got through to them on the first try and a technician explained to me that the sole of the sandals have a slight curve so the ramp is not pushed up high enough to lock the cleats into the pedals. He told me to remove the cleat and place a small piece of plastic under the white part of the cleat and the sandal. I did as directed and the ramp protrudes enough to lock now. I am very happy with the comfort of the sandals, and will use them often in the warm weather. I have included photos of the Frog Cleat (New Type) and Frog Pedal.

Back to today's ride! The weather was partly cloudy and 80 degrees, and only a slight 3 MPH breeze coming out of the NNW. Days like this are perfect for riding, not to hot and not to cold.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beautiful day for a ride