The waiting game!

Only one more day until I except delivery of my new ActionBent recumbent trike. I feel like a little kid waiting for his birthday. I have been looking forward to this day for a long while, and the waiting is getting to me. At age 58 soon to be 59, you would think something like this would not get me excited well you would be very wrong. We men need our toys, and these toys make our lives better. More about that later on.


I have been riding recumbent bikes for about three years. Why did I choose a recumbent bike well that is an easy answer. Back in 1989 I was working for a company that was the electrical contractors for the renovation of Ellis Island State Park, in NY. One morning while setting up the work for my men I stepped on a large piece of cardboard. Not realizing that the cardboard was covering a gaping hole in the floor. Needless to say I went through the floor, flipping upside down and landing the floor below on my neck. For the next ten or so years I was working with very bad pain which I saw no end too. The doctors said they couldn't find a thing; I went from doctor to doctor looking for a cure. None was to be found, and I didn't know how long I would be able to continue with the ever growing pain. About four years ago while working on a ladder showing one of the electricians what to do; I looked up and felt a sharp pain in my neck that ran down my left arm. I just barely made it to my car and home. I made an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon hoping he could find something to help me. He decided to send me for an MRI and some x-rays. I had to wait a week for the appointment and then a few more days to get the results. I received a call from the doctor’s office about three days later telling me to come in to see him. My wife and I went to his office the next morning, and were told that I should go to a Nero Surgeon as soon as possible. He explained that I had some severely damaged cervical disks which were pressing on the nerves. He also explained that due to the damage my spinal canal was very narrow. We saw a Nero Surgeon a week later and he suggested surgery. He explained the risks and that I would loose some neck movement. After surgery I went to Physical theray for about a year. I then went back to work. I worked for another year and my neck gave out again. To make this story short, I needed another surgery which fused two more disks, making moving my neck even harder. So the recumbent bike was the only way to ride without as much pain.

So all I can say is if you have neck or back problems a recumbent bike is the way to go. Why did I switch to a recumbent trike from a bike? The doctors told me at my last visit that a fall from the bike would cause a lot more neck and back damage, which I could not afford. A trike was my only answer. I need exercise which I get none, so this is for me a blessing. Yes I still have constant pain, and need medication which I only take at night so I could sleep. I will not take pain killers during the day. I don't like the feeling!

My next blog will be after my receiving the trike.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beautiful day for a ride