Tests, tests and more tests!

This morning I disassembled the steering upgrade package and changed the bolts holding the security brackets to longer bolts. I also realigned the main brackets and verified that they were the same distance from the center of axle to the edge of bracket. This ensures that the brackets don't affect the alignment. As you can see from the above pictures the brackets in the photo on the top are not aligned as well as the picture on the bottom. I then elongated the hole on one safety bracket to ensure alignment of the tie-rod mounting holes. Next was taking the tie-rod and making sure each ball end was screwed into the tie-rod the same distance. I preceded to mount the tie-rod to the top of the brackets. This position was opposite to the way I had it mounted yesterday, as it was on the bottom. I now grabbed my two metal tape measures and stretched one from side of one wheel at the back to the side of the other wheel at the back, about halfway up from the floor on each. I used the spokes as a point of reference. I repeated this at the front of each wheel. I checked the measurements to see if the distance was the same. I turned the tie-rod to adjust until the distance was even. I now locked each lock-nut on either side of the tie-rod. The alignment was now set. I tested each bolt now for tightness just to be sure. I checked that each ball end was in the same position in relation to the center stud. Now that all was aligned to my satisfaction I started the testing.

I repeated the turning circle test and found no discernible difference between yesterday and today. I noticed no addition scrub when turning. I have got to admit that the turns were not at there limit at each test, as the handlebars were touching my torso. The next series of tests will consist of high and low speed turns, plus gradual curves and tight 90 degree back to back turns. These will have to wait for a break in the weather. I think this is one of the worst Aprils I can remember. The sump pump has not stopped running in cycles since early this morning.

Tomorrow UPS should be delivering my new Axiom Waterproof panniers, I can't wait to see how they look on the trike. The Radical Design panniers reached there destination yesterday the 11th at 1:11PM. The money I got for those will pay for the new panniers.

I have another project to work on in the next few weeks, is to replace my water bottle cage to a carbon fiber cage I have. It will take some mounting voodoo to get this working. I will be using another Minoura bottle cage mount which I will canibalize for the parts needed. I have an idea in mind, but not sure if the idea will bear fruit. I will update this blog as things progress on this project.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beautiful day for a ride