UPDATE: On Trike Oscillation!


This morning the temperature was hovering about freezing, but I wanted to take a real short test ride so that I might check the new steering cones. To my delight I did not notice the oscillation in the front two wheels. I am hopping this problem does show up at higher speeds, but preliminary results are on the positive side. My tires are inflated to around 80 Lbs which is 20 Lbs lower than I was keeping them. The ride was smooth and very comfy so I think that I will inflate the Scorcher TRs to 90 Lbs to get the benefit of speed and comfort. I can't help wondering how fast these tires would be in a narrower width.

While on this very short test ride I noticed my new Ultegra Crankset was so smooth and the bottom bracket seemed to even out the ride. I noticed that I was able to get up to speed much faster than before, and with less effort. I also found that I had NO pain in my left knee which I attribute to the 165mm cranks and the faster cadence.

My wife has come to the conclusion that I am possessed by a trike demon, which gets joy in watching me talk, write and breath trikes. Since I have retired I speed an inordinate amount of time with my trike and my photography. And yes I take loads of pictures of my trike. By the way i am thinking about getting one of those Oregon Scientific helmet cameras so that I can document some of my rides. Does anyone have one of these? If yes how well does it do the job? See there I go again, maybe I am possessed!

UPDATE: This afternoon I went out for another test ride and YES the Oscillation is totally gone and the ride is as smooth as can be. Now I will decide on what pressure to inflate the tires to. I think I will start out at 90 lbs, and see how that balances a smooth ride and still keep the higher speed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beautiful day for a ride