I had Brain Freeze

Yesterday while riding I heard a rattle, and figured with my Sunday maintenance I would try to find the problem. I was going to check the headsets and adjust the steering when I noticed that there was some side to side play in the fender mount. So I proceeded to loosen the cap screw and the stem screw and remove the steering assembly and the spacers to see what the problem was. I saw that the ring that goes around the steering tube had a 1 mm space, I looked at the left side and it was tight so I figured it was the stem that needed to be tightened. I started reassembly and after mounting the steering assembly I tightened the screw for the stem then the screw for the cap. But the fender was still loose as a goose. I tried this procedure for about fifteen minutes, when I realized that I was tightening the screws in the wrong order. The cap screw is what pulls the stem assembly down to the headset, while the stem screw only prevents the stem from moving around. I must have done this procedure at least 100 times since I have had the trike, but I got a brain fart and didn't tighten it right. Well all it tight and no more rattle. Just one of those senior moments I guess!

Tom mentioned on the Yahoo ActionBent group, that he thinks that in July he will have the finalized brackets made. He already has a number of people interested in the upgrade kit. I didn't think he would have too much trouble selling this upgrade, as it is a fantastic performance gain.

T
oday has been a very lazy day, as we spent it looking for bushes to replace some dead shrubs in the front of the house. We picked out what we need and then had lunch and headed for the two o'clock show of Spider Man 3, which was a good get away movie. You have to leave your brain at the door with these types of movies, but who cares.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beautiful day for a ride